Saturday 14 June 2014

Saturday Time

With such a busy job, I find that Friday after Friday, all I want to do is go home and sleep. Thanks to charming coworkers (one of whom is leaving) I broke my lazy Friday habit of going home and laying about being unsocial and sloth-like. I didn't stay as long as most, but being out and having a chat outside of the workplace was a wonderful experience. We didn't talk about anything that we wouldn't normally talk about in the workplace, especially considering some of the lunchtime conversations I've witnessed, but a change of atmosphere, the fact that we all went home, changed and had met up with the intention of celebrating and being social made all of the difference.

Although this soiree meant that I was up past my typical wishful Friday bedtime of eight pm, I woke up this morning feeling rather refreshed. I had so much energy in fact that I decided to get out of bed instead of laying in and that I would go to town in search of buttons for the cardigan that I finally finished knitting.

A quick bus ride into town and I found myself amidst all of the Saturday shoppers. Some were in a hurry, some were just out for a leisurely (if you can call shopping that) day of wandering the town and browsing in and out of shops. Now me, I was one of those people who was on a mission. I am not the biggest fan of shopping and since I was after something specific, I didn't want to be in town all day looking for it. So I swiftly walked from my one bus stop to the other and headed back out of town towards my favourite yarn shop, Baa Ram Ewe. With the buses being pretty efficient, I was there in less than forty minutes from leaving home, which is not bad I think. 

The wonderful woman in the shop helped my attempt to select buttons. We weren't successful in finding the right buttons, but we figured out what I was after. She gave me a suggestion of where to look in town and off I went again!

What we decided that I was looking for and what I did not find:

This is where my day gets a bit silly. Four yarn, haberdashery, and sewing shops later, I've not found the correct buttons. I've found approximations and buttons that would be amazing for other, future projects, but I didn't find my buttons in the right colour. I did however have an enjoyable day just being in town.
While I was there I was reminded of all the different types of food you can eat in town. As I wandered from shop to shop I saw Japanese, Indian, Italian, Thai and others. I felt hungry even though I had eaten a sufficient breakfast. I saw the interesting and colourful ways that young people choose to dress and was once again amazed by some of the strange fashions (I swear I never dressed quite that strangely when I was that age) and I saw some amazing street performers. 

As I was walking up the bustling pedestrian-only shopping area I heard the steady and driving beat of hiphop music. Walking closer to its source, I found a gathered crowd that was watching a female trio doing a dance. My first thought, being ever the strange person that I am, was 'how did people their age get a permit for street performance?' And then I remembered, who cares??? It's a nice day and they're doing something that they love - stop thinking about it and enjoy it!

When I moved past the crowd encircling the dancers, I stumbled upon a statue I had never seen before. It was a living statue. I was amazed at how good a job this street performer was doing. He was absolutely, perfectly still. It was really convincing and impressive. He was crouched into a seated position; he looked like he was seated upon a chair but without the chair. It was splendid! It was also unsettling to see. By all logic he should have fallen over considering his centre of gravity couldn't have been above he feet, but there he was sitting on nothing! I was quite impressed. I wish that I had had a charge on my phone and had been able to take a picture, because I'm really not doing him justice at all with this description. 

All in all, my little trip into town, although not achieving my mission, was certainly fruitful in terms of entertainment. Today was a really refreshing experience for me. It reminded me that although I have not traveled as much in the last little while, there is still so much that I can do and enjoy right on my own doorstep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment